The Sparkler of Albion: The Many Faces of Charles Dickens



Despite all we know about him, Dickens remains a mystery. Robert Fairhurst explores our fascination with the great novelist.

By Robert Douglas – Fairhurst, The Telegraph 26th September 2011


Dear readers today on this blog I added a widget where I tweet the most interesting articles and like in this case I will do a brief review.

Charles Dickens is my favorite novelist because in his writing, we can understand, the social problems of the Victorian London, personally, when I think about London, it comes natural the association of a so called “Dicknesian City” and the first paragraph of “Bleak House”

According to this article writing the biography of Sir. Charles Dickens is not simple because in my opinion his soul is enveloped by the Londoner’s fog and full of mud and in the prospective a megalosaurus i.e. the materialization of his pains and fear for a possible personal and economical failure.

I’d like to speculate on the fact that writing fiction is relatively simple rather than a clear and complete personification of his soul through his characters, every writers tend to mitigate or hidden his problems.

In other words we will never be able to write his biography mainly because the clues are well hidden and chopped in infinitesimal parts dispersed in his books, and also because, the two époques are too distant and we tend to judge his behavior using our concept of society and ethics.

Cheers

Italo

Comments

Popular Posts