Should Creative Writing Be Taught?







This is the Hamlet’s  doubt for every academics involved on this field of study.
Currently we do not have a common definition of creative writing, this is probably due to its creativity, but in my opinion the following definition is perfect for academics and for their research methods in the field of the creative writing.

Creative writing, a form of artistic expression, draws on the imagination to convey meaning through the use of imagery, narrative, and drama. This is in contrast to analytic or pragmatic forms of writing. This genre includes poetry, fiction (novels, short stories), scripts, screenplays, and creative non-fiction.[1]

According to this definition creativity cannot be taught because, in this case,  we will have a standardized voice, ad readers we will be soon refuse to read any kind of books.

The purpose of the university is to develop a critical approach on different forms of writing, like historical fiction, biographies, travel writing, poems and so on.

In other words the task of these universities is those making a read pleasurable and smooth.

The most important goal is try to find a method or methods for recognise the natural talent of a writer.

As entrepreneur I won't spend a penny for this kind of courses, it is bankruptcy but in the case of a course in creative writing is oriented for the editors and publishers I will certainly change my mind.
This imply that once graduated I will be able to recognise a good writing from a bad one, I will do my choices more critically, avoiding the emotional sphere which is irrational.

If I were a director of study, my purpose was to find a research methods with a particular focus on lectures online, Cognitive Poetics and The Fiction of Relationship.

All lectures must be online, this means that,  the lecturer will have more time for his/her students, they will discuss about their impressions, ideas and doubts.

 I'd like to debunking the famous phrase:  “I only write when I am inspired"

The professional writers must read and read, only reading, they will improve their imagination.

In this context a writer will feel the necessity  to find a research methods and probably googling or going to the local library is not enough, we can find tons of information but we do not know if they are reliable or not. 

In my opinion this is a positive point for the workshop and degree on creative writing, they won't teach creativity, but they will teach on how to obtain the material, and especially on how to read critically.

In every novel there is a hero or heroine, we are interested how the writer has introduced it on how the environment is described, this is a superficial reading, because we are influenced by the inner voice.

Recently I bought a Kindle paperwhite and frequently I use the function "X Ray" this is extremely useful for me because I can read the plot under different point of view, I can be the main personage or the last one, I can "follow" the character in every action and his/her interaction to the other characters.

This is a critical reading subject to a detailed research.

So, the academic courses will “kill” the  creativity of a potential writer?
 
I do not think so, for the following reason:

They will enable even the least of them to achieve a level of competence they would not have on their own. Students will learn to construct plausible voices, but not always distinct ones.[2]

Studying creative writing at university means that a lecturer can help the students on how to implement the cognitive poetics on their writing and reading, in other words he/she can explain the relationship between the creative work and the critical context giving to the students an adequate tool on the processes of composition and revision.

The best academic courses are those where is required to attend physically the lectures because there will be a full immersion on this subject physically and mentally, doing so we will (probably) feel inspired to write something and sharing our writings drinking a cold beer.

And I will choose a course in creative writing if at the end I can enroll for a PhD or in the case of I will work in a publish company, obviously I won’t be a famous writer.

In conclusion I will discuss about the use of narrative as a tool for promote the culture and the interaction with The Fiction of Relationship.

The Literary Studies are the humanistic study of literature, with subgenres like:

Comparative Literature, Literary Criticism, Poetics, Classics, Rhetoric and Humanistic disciplines.
According to this definition we do not have a dedicated definition for the creative writing and this lack of terminology will be replaced by dedicated research.

We should consider that the modern writer is a person interconnected with the world, and this interconnection is made of writers, readers and publishers.

This is happening because our reading approaches are different, I can read a book following a single personages, I can share my reading on social networks goodreads or twitter, I can say that I appreciated this novel for the following reason.

For the researchers and publisher s, this kind of data are extremely important, in the future a writer will write a novel based on our tastes, on our cultural interests and so on.

In my opinion the main rule for a researcher in creative writing is to find and then to analyze the impact of the creative writing, intended as a summation of experiences, made by readers writers and publishers, on the literary studies.


An interesting field for the researcher is to find a connection between philosophy and literatur
They should consider that the historical novels as a philosophical tool, because according to Gianbattista Vico, a  philosopher of the 18th century, wrote:

“Had sought to promote history as a ‘new science’ – not the kind of science that deals in abstract truths and mathematical laws, but one in which the human mind struggles to recollect and reanimate the forms of its own past”[3]

There is also another citation of  R.G. Collingwood
“It also leaves you thinking that the literary form best suited to philosophy is not the treatise, the commentary or even the all-conquering academic paper, but the memoir of a seriously thoughtful life.”[4]

This citation is not suitable for the fictional novels, is not an interesting research?















               


[1] Duke University

[2] Research Methods in Creative Writing, Katharine Coles, page 173, Palgrave Macmillian
[3] Gianbattista Vico Philosopher
[4] A Few Home Truths, London Review of Books page 13, 19th June 2014

Comments

Popular Posts